Saturday, September 27, 2008

E-Lit: a Red Herring?

Interesting article by Andrew Gallix on the Guardian books blog this week, asking whether e-literature can ever be innovative in the ways which have sometimes been supposed.

It's a point which writer and Art of Fiction blogger Adrian Slatcher and I have often discussed: the fact that while hypertext is so astoundingly non-linear, no real way has yet been found to apply this to fiction on the web without losing words in favour of other media such as pictures and music. Responding to the article, Adrian makes this point again, and notes rightly that my Manchester-Festival commissioned blogstory last year (which had to take the form of a real-time blog) was inevitably more conventionally linear than my writing for print, since the blog is essentially a linear, sequential form. (Adrian offers his own piece on this post, but the links don't seem to work, and I'm not sure if this is his joke...)

4 comments:

Adrian Slatcher said...

Yes, was just a screenshot of my old elit page - I'll try and resurrect the real thing when I get a chance, links and all!

Elizabeth Baines said...

Ah right! Look forward to that...

MJ said...

Have you heard of We Tell Stories?

It was an experiment by Penguin in innovative digital fiction.

Website:
http://wetellstories.co.uk/
Google Talks video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHSgjLjz-BA

Elizabeth Baines said...

Thanks, I'll look this up.