Friday, September 21, 2007

Women, Publishers and Language

Laura Dietz asks if the ubiquitousness of unchallenging 'domestic' writing by women is the fault of women writers themselves, or of publishers who overlook the more challenging work of female writers. It looks like the latter, is her tentative conclusion, since the all-female winners of the New Writing prize - all of whom would have sent in their own best unpublished work - have been praised as innovative and bold, whereas the Orange prize, based on already-published books nominated by their publishers, tends, she says (or at least Muriel Gray, last year's chair, said), to be dominated by books which conform to traditional conventions.

One commenter on the post opens up the discussion of what in fact makes for challenging writing - subject matter or writing style and use of language - and states the opinion, with which I agree, that it's on the level of language and style which books can be the most challenging.

It would be nice to think that the appearance on this year's Booker shortlist of Anne Enright - a linguistically bold and innovative writer if I ever saw one - is a welcome sign of a reversal of the situation Dietz describes.

6 comments:

Frances said...

Perhaps its to do with demand as well. There is no incentive to write more challenging, experimental or philosophical literature if chick lit stories are selling by the quintillion. Being able to eat is often useful I find.

Vanessa Gebbie said...

Can I make a challenging comment? My opinion only, and something I believe more and more. I dont think it is just style. I think it is content too.

I believe that in general, men write more 'interesting' stories.

They are braver, dare to go places many women writers wouldn't, for fear of something... what, I dont know.

And maybe that is why The National Short Story prize has been won by men in both its first years... (not judged blind, ...). And also why our little competition, (Cadenza) which judges blind, chose male writers at 1, 2 and 3rd in the last competition.

Its not rocket scince. The stories are just... more interesting... for many many reasons, which all add up to, (sadly) better stories. More memorable. Stronger. Whatever comparative you care to use.


I will now batten down the hatches. And change sex, fast.

Elizabeth Baines said...

You and Julian Gough, Vanessa, and your poor shot-through feet...

Pants said...

Hi FB

I have to say I'm really shocked. It's as if the last fifty years, or at the very least, Jeanette Winterson, never happened.

Frilly knickers are atwist across the land this week as it's 'revealed' Katie Price's latest contribution to illiterature has outstripped the sum total of Booker nominees' sales.

Some women write about looking after children and some men write about cars and other toys, and then there's Nick Hornby.

xxx

Pants

Vanessa Gebbie said...

Not sure I understand your post, E...

my feet are so full of holes anyway I can hardly stand!

V

Elizabeth Baines said...

Sorry. On a recent post I said that Julian Gough had shot himself in the foot re short stories....