Friday, August 17, 2007

Graphic Language

I know I've been away, but I was pretty puzzled when today I first read about the fuss over Ian Rankin's statement that lesbian crime writers write the most 'graphic' novels, and that he finds this 'interesting'. What? Why would people bridle at a compliment? Doesn't 'graphic' mean 'vivid'? See what a week in the Welsh hills (and a lack of familiarity with crime novels generally) does to you - you simply don't keep up with the language and you have no idea that it's shorthand for 'graphic violence'. And, to add to the confusion, in the same paper I am told that Rankin, having left Rebus behind, is now embarked on a 'graphic novel'!

2 comments:

Chris Paul said...

Hee hee. Maybe Rankin is doing a graphic novel as in Neil Gaiman rather than a GRAPHIC!!! novel as in Val McDermid's Indignant Consternation? Which was what she appeared to be flogging on Radio Five when they covered Rankin's deft wind up.

Anansi Boys from Gaiman ... rather good btw. Not at all graphic or GRAPHIC!!! really.

Elizabeth Baines said...

Yes, I guess so.(Tee hee, though.)